FDA Prescription Drug User Fee Rates: Fiscal Year 2019


FDA Releases Prescription Drug User Fees (PDUFA) for FY 2019

On Wednesday, August 1st, FDA released a notice with updated prescription drug user fee rates for fiscal year 2019.

Prescription Drug Application Fees

According to the Food, Drug, & Cosmetic (FD&C) Act, application fees should provide 20% of the total revenue, while program fees should provide the other 80%. Application fees are set at $202,064,400 for FY 2019. The application fees were determined by estimating the total number of expected fee-paying full application equivalents (FAEs) for the year. The updated fees are as follows:

  • Full application (with clinical data): $2,588,478
  • Application (without clinical data): $1,294,239

This is a 6.9% increase from FY 2018 fees, which were $2,421,495 per full application requiring clinical data, and $1,210,748 per application not requiring clinical data.

Prescription Drug Program Fees

FY 2019 program fees were calculated by dividing the adjusted total revenue from program fees ($808,257,600) by the estimated number of program fees (2,608). The FY 2019 program fee is $309,915. This is a 1.9 percent increase from the FY 2018 program fee of $304,162.

Fee Category FY 2019 Fee Rates FY 2018 Fee Rates
Application Requiring Clinical Data $2,588,478 $2,421,495
Application Not Requiring Clinical Data $1,294,239 $1,210,748
Program $309,915 $304,162
We can help you get your product approved by the FDA in less time and for less money. Using our proprietary approach which combines scientific knowledge with regulatory expertise, we have helped countless clients achieve successful outcomes with FDA. To learn more about our services and how we can help you, contact us today.